The Nova Scotia Criminal Justice Association (NSCJA) hosted community conversations on drug use in the Halifax region during February 2023.
NSCJA president Sharon Martin facilitated seven community conversations:
- Musquodoboit Harbour Library: February 1 – 6:00 – 7:30 PM
- Delmore “Buddy” Daye Learning Institute: February 2 – 6:30 – 8:00 PM
- Sackville Library (Lower Sackville): February 8 – 6:00 – 7:30 PM
- St. Margaret’s Centre: February – 15 6:00 – 7:30 PM
- Cole Harbour Place February: 16 – 6:00 – 7:30 PM
- Dartmouth North Library: February 22 – 6:00 – 7:30 PM
- Keshen Goodman Library (Clayton Park): February 23 – 6:00 – 7:30 PM
Sharon shared what was learned during the public symposium at the Woodlawn Public Library and sought input on how drug use impacts the community.
The video of the January 19 symposium can be viewed at https://www.nscja.ca/be-part-of-the-conversation-launch-event/. The session was moderated by DeRico Symonds, well-known community advocate, and featured panelists who have diverse lived/living experience, criminal justice, and public health perspectives: Pete Brown, Manager, 7th Step Society of Canada; Jill Harnum, Substance User Network of the Atlantic Region; Dr. David Martell, Physician Lead – Addictions Medicine and President, Canadian Society of Addiction Medicine; Bill Moore, Project Manager, Public Safety, Halifax Regional Municipality; and Shawn Parker, Navigator Street Outreach, North Halifax and Dartmouth.
NSCJA partnered with the Halifax Regional Municipality’s Public Safety Office to host these events. Funding was been provided by Public Safety Canada.