The Nova Scotia Criminal Justice Association (NSCJA) will be hosting a Launch Event on 19 January 2023 10:00 AM – 12 PM* at the Woodlawn Public Library, 31 Eisener Boulevard, Dartmouth.
Join the NSCJA at the Woodlawn Library on 19 January 2023 from 10 AM till 12 PM to hear a panel discuss the impact that current drug policies have on the lives of people living in our communities, on our families, and on the systems charged with responding to harms associated with drug use.
This event will be livestreamed with American Sign Language. Pre-registration is required and provides an opportunity to indicate to how NSCJA can support registrants’ participation. This is a free, inclusive event. Everyone is welcome.
Community advocate, DeRico Symonds will moderate a kitchen table-style conversation with the following panelists who have diverse lived/living experience, criminal justice, and public health perspectives:
● Peter Brown, Manager, 7th Step Society of Canada
● Jill Harnum, Substance User Network of the Atlantic Region
● Dr. David Martell, Physician Lead – Addictions Medicine and President, Canadian Society of Addiction Medicine
● Bill Moore, Project Manager, Public Safety, Halifax Regional Municipality
● Shawn Parker, Navigator Street Outreach, North Halifax and Dartmouth
Topics to be discussed at this event include:
● Issues surrounding criminalization, decriminalization, and legalization
● Key lessons learned from initiatives in other jurisdictions
● Opportunities/challenges of decriminalization in Nova Scotia
● Policy considerations
● Support services and infrastructure required
● Violence prevention and community safety
The Launch Event will be followed by a series of Community Conversations at various locations in the Halifax region during February 2023.
NSCJA partnered with the Halifax Regional Municipality’s Public Safety Office to host these events.
Funding has been provided by Public Safety Canada.
For future information and to register: https://www.hrmdruguseconversations.ca
Contact: Sharon Martin, President, NSCJA
* The snow date for the Launch Event is 26 January 2023 at the Woodlawn Library.